Monday, February 23, 2009

Notes From the Oscars




No, I was not fortunate enough to be at the Oscars tweeting non-stop my fashion hits and misses. I was actually snug on my couch in pj's, indulging with ice cream, and making my personal picks from the comfort of my own home. Right off the bat it was easy to identify the chic from the "what were they thinking?" Sure-fire winners of the evening were newbie Taraji Henson (loved her sleek bob and elegant dress), Natalie Portman (someone finally not afraid of color), and Anne Hathaway (gorgeous dress.) A few losers...Miley Cyrus (was that a tin foil dress?), Beyonce (her own design, oh good grief!), and Marisa Tomei's origami dress (is it made of paper?)

I personally loved Tilda Swinton's get-up (she usually wears a Viktor & Rolf design). It was certainly a nontraditional Oscar look, very tonal, but she could have easily stepped off any NY runway, which is why I liked it. Gorgeous Frida Pinto should really have worn yellow rather than aging herself 10 years with that boring navy dress. Yellow was a huge symbol in "Slumdog Millionaire" and it would have been wonderfully refreshing if she had worn a beautiful yellow frock similar to Cate Blanchett's 2005 dress.

I was a little sick of all the asymmetrical, one-shoulder dresses. A trend that has been beaten to death. Overall the Oscars were a bit somber in color; enough with all the black and grey! I know they all received the recession memo, but please, aren't these stylists seeing what's coming off the Fall '09 runways -- Color! I guess that's why a few celebs were standouts on the red carpet, with pops of color amongst the sea of black - Natalie Portman in Rodarte, Alicia Keys in pretty mauve, and Heidi Klum in red carpet red. I loved all the champagne neutrals and taupes too - Anne Hathaway's sparkly Armani, Jessica Biel's duchess satin column, Meryl Streep's Alberta Ferretti, and goth Evan Rachel Wood.

Not a big fan of the cinderella-princess-wedding cake looks and could have done without all the fishtails - Sara Jessica Parker, Vanessa Hudgens, and Beyonce. Less is more in my book. I'm so happy Kate Winslet finally won and she was simply elegant in the grey/black tonal gown, and I especially loved her futuristic, sculpted hair.

And didn't Angelina wear that black strapless gown before at another awards show? I swear I've seen it before. But hey, I'm all for recycling. I loved Penelope Cruz's vintage Balmain and adore the fact that she's been coveting it for months and finally went back to the store and it was still waiting for her on the rack for just the perfect occasion. She reminded me of a young Sophia Loren. Speaking of Sophia Loren, how could someone with so much style in her heyday have suddenly lost good taste? Not even good plastic surgery could have saved this train wreck. I'm still reeling from the nightmares from last night. Please Penelope, stay away from the knife and keep your fashion clean and simple as you age.

No comments:

Post a Comment