Sunday, December 2, 2007

Mapuana - Color in Motion






Years ago I stumbled upon the most beautiful watercolor paintings by local Hawaiian artist, Mapuana Schneider, at Native Books and Beautiful Things. I bought a few reproductions for my New York boutique, Stacia New York, and have since moved them into my home because I love them so much. On my most recent visit to Hawaii, on my list of things to do and see, was to find more of her work and get some of those brilliant watercolors for my Santa Monica design studio. Mapuana's history is rather unique in that this renaissance woman discovered her talent as an artist rather late in life. She is an accomplished hula dancer and entertainer of the Islands, a hotelier for many years in Waikiki, an entrepreneur of Fine Wine Imports, and lastly her passion for hula has been translated into her brilliant watercolor paintings. I admire her fearless use of bold color, her fluidity of shape, and her simplistic yet beautiful interpretation of the female form. Her favorite subjects are landscapes and hula dancers, "I want you to hear the music," she says. And it's almost like you can hear the music or the sway of the hula dancer's hips in these paintings. Love, love, love her work and a huge inspiration for me as a designer, as I'm a big fan of color as you know. To view more of her vivid watercolors or to purchase some of her reprints, check out her web site, www.mapuanagallery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment