Sunday, December 2, 2007

Road Trip - Honolulu, Hawaii



I've been an absent blogger I know, but for a good reason...I took a long needed vacation back home to Hawaii and vowed not to bring my computer (although my new iPhone toy doesn't count!!) Boy, did I ever need a vacation. I love going back home because it's so effortless to relax and fun to visit my local haunts.

I always have my usual stops to make - drive up to Haleiwa to check out the Northshore Swimwear shop (bought a fabulous animal print bikini), Bali Moon (great Balinese finds such as easy tie dye tunics or cotton crochet hippie tops), Strong Current (by far the best place to pick up surf-inspired hoodies and tees), and of course the faithful Matsumoto's shave ice stop.

Another ritual is to check out the local retail (Stacia has yet to break into the Hawaii market). There's actually not much to report from the Hawaii retail scene. Their market pretty much caters to the foreign buyer (hence all the free-standing designer stores like Gucci, Prada, and even Coach (US buyer's beware...most items are marked up a good $100 from the mainland and web, so hold off if you can.) And there's not much to choose from in local "multi-designer" boutiques either. In Kahala, you have Shasa Emporium, who's store identity keeps changing (used to carry a lot of "junior" items, but now hosts a lot of great contemporary lines) and Ohelo Road, a store that also has a slight identity crisis (not sure if they want to cater to the designer t-shirt and jeans crowd- official home of the Michael Stars' line- or the bohemian 40-something eclectic.) I did discover a new shop that opened up at the fairly new Waikiki Beachwalk complex, called Bernards of Hawaii. For once I came upon a shop with some clear style, with it's mix of ultra-hip LA based designer tees, jeans, and hoodies, plus a vast array of cool beauty products- a real two-fer. Not sure what kind of traffic they'll get at the 2nd floor level, but it was refreshing to see some LA vibe on the islands.

I personally tend to explore the non-traditional avenues for shopping. I always make a stop at Native Books and Beautiful Things shop in Ward Warehouse to check out local artists, island-inspired books, and off-beat island-themed apparel and accessories. I've been hording these great batik printed and hand-dyed sack bags from Maui (got four now!). Their slight hippie vibe makes it great for slinging diagonally over your body for those trips to the farmer's market or spontaneous beach days (holds a lot, even a wet suit and towel!). And this is where I also have snagged some work by my favorite female artist, Mapuana. Her watercolor paintings of hula dancers and her rich vibrant colors are so inspiring that I just can't get enough (more to follow on Mapuana...)

But besides relaxing, shopping, and trekking to my favorite spots, the main reason for the trip was to celebrate my daughter's one year birthday and to have her christened "Hawaiian style" by our favorite Kahu (Hawaiian priest), Kahu Silva. On the rocky sands of Sandy Beach (a childhood favorite beach near home), and under the hovering rain clouds and sparkling sun, we had a traditional Hawaiian blessing or Ho'ola'a for Kaiulani Rose. She looked beautiful in a vintage Stacia baby dress (circa 2003) that matched my own cotton voile "tide pool" print dress (also an old Stacia New York design.) The only other topper to the trip was long boarding at Canoes in Waikiki- my favorite long boarding beach where there's nothing more satisfying than feeling like Duke Kahanamoku while leisurly riding a wave for a good minute or two- whoohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment