Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Road Trip - Palm Springs


Just got back from a quick getaway to Palm Springs - a surprise birthday weekend for my hubbie. I must really love my husband to endure a weekend in the desert! I'm known to get ill inland and dread being land-locked, but to be honest, I've always been curious about Palm Springs. The image in my head is the cool, laid-back Rat Pack vibe of the mid 60's, lounging poolside with a cocktail - a true designer's inspiration. The trip was a success in that I didn't get ill inland and I came back chock full of ideas for Spring 2009. I've already fittingly named my first Spring group (in stores January '09) 'Palm Springs.' The new palette of bamboo spacedye colors will evoke the mid-century oasis of Palm Springs in its hay-day - color names will include Neutra, Eames, Pucci, Lilly (as in Lilly Pulitzer; I know she's more Palm Beach, but her preppy palette fits right in in Palm Springs), Rancho, and Palmas. My inspiration draws on the mid-century architecture that Palm Springs is famous for and what a gal would be wearing if she were lounging poolside at one of these grand indoor/outdoor living spaces. I'm promising lots of color - pops of multi-color hues (think Spacedye Pucci), preppy mixes of pinks and greens (Lilly gone Spacedye), and earthy yet vibrant hues of the desert (oranges, sky blues, citrus greens.) The ideas are just oozing out of my head. Gotta go sketch! Stay tuned for more Spring 2009 inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment