Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Young Artists in the Making




Last night I took my kids to the Every Monday Matters charity event at Bergamot Station in Santa Monica. The event, hosted by my friend and artist Ria Ray and the author of Every Monday Matters, Matthew Emerzian, was to raise money for the arts in public schools, specifically Roosevelt Elementary. Yes, even in lovely Santa Monica, the prestigious (and actually very good) public schools are lacking in the arts just like every other public school in America. Yikes, I really dread starting the process next year picking a school worthy of my kindergarten son. Just watching a bunch of 2nd graders go at blank canvases with bowls of paint was so inspirational. Kids have the most natural instincts for form, shape, color, without the slightest bit of hesitation or doubt in their creations. If only we all could be so free! Just shows you how important art is to our children. It allows them the freedom to create and explore, something our schools are clearly lacking.

It was so much fun to watch my two kids, a four year-old (with definitely more control of the brush) and my 19 month-old daughter (who actually enjoyed painting with her feet and hands!) go at it. Ta da! Instant father's day gifts! I bought the two canvases my children made at the auction to help raise funds for Roosevelt's art program and I can't wait to hang them on my walls! After this event, I'm also anxious to read the host's new book, Every Monday Matters, which is a brilliant concept. It takes 52 Mondays and 52 simple things that ordinary people can do each Monday to make a difference in the world. Whether it's picking up a single piece of trash, mentoring a child, or changing a lightbulb, if we all did one simple task to better our environment every Monday, our world would certainly be a better place. Check out their web site and stay tuned for upcoming events in your area!

No comments:

Post a Comment