Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Brian Eno is God


I finally got my new Coldplay album, Viva La Vida. The loser that I am, I waited to buy it on Amazon for only $9.99, but had delayed gratification to save a few bucks. My husband told me he saw it at Starbucks the very day I ordered it. Alas, I'm finally enjoying my new Coldplay. The perfect accompaniment to the tedious job of boxing and shipping my Fall orders. I pack every one of those puppies myself, every sweater is packed by yours truly, and UPS.com and I are best friends. I can create UPS labels with my eyes closed! Thankfully, Mr. Chris Martin has gotten me through it. And yes, I believe that Brian Eno is God, or at least comes very close to brilliance. Coldplay has always been great, but Mr. Eno, who produced their new album Viva La Vida, has taken them to the next level. From the first track, it launches into a U2-esque anthemic rock courtesy of Eno's soundscape, a style that he also famously brought to my favorite Irish lads, Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullin Jr. in the early 80's. Much like The Edge's rhythmic guitar, you have Chris Martin's melodic piano, both echoing an ethereal sound. I'm a big fan of the moody, anthemic-style rock, which can easily become the soundtrack for your life. I particularly remember traipsing through Europe in the Summer of '85 listening to U2's The Unforgettable Fire and it providing the soundtrack to my European experience. And now, in 2008, Coldplay's Viva La Vida, and with Brian Eno's magic touch, will be my Summer '08 soundtrack. With this album, Mr. Chris Martin has certainly secured his 2nd place spot on my "list" (right behind Bono of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment