Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Designer's List - 2009 Resolutions & Revelations


Aahh...a new year and a fresh start. This year I'm making a list. I've never been one to have a resolution per say, but I'm definitely a list maker. Not everything on my list is a challenge or a goal for the next year, but some are simply revelations in my world of fashion. The head of a designer needs order, or at least I do!

~Dress up! It's my new mantra. Especially when times are tough, you need to NOT look the part and put on a happy face and an optimistic wardrobe. Ditch the sweats and Uggs and pull on some sleek trousers or a pencil skirt, or if you insist on jeans (like I do), dress 'em up with some high-heeled booties or metallic flats. And I can proudly say, I've never owned a Juicy Couture tracksuit.

~Speaking of Jeans, thank God for diversity! Finally, all jeans are equal. Pretty much, wide leg, high-waisted, low-rise, boyfriend, pegged, or skinny is in. Which is great, because I love all of them! I'm happy to sport boyfriend jeans, skinny jeans, wide-leg trouser jeans, and bootleg all this year and not feel out of fashion one bit.

~Going Luxe for Less. Anything that's $400 plus (unless it's a fine leather handbag) will not be on my radar. There's no reason to pay $1500 for a Missoni sweater, when you can wear an equally luxurious space-dye creation by Stacia for under $200. And mine's in 100% sustainable bamboo that's friendly to the earth and feels like butter against the skin.

~Go Vintage. Accessories are a surefire way to upgrade your look and a vintage store or flea market is a great way to add some flash and save your cash. It's especially easy to find a specific jewelry trend at second-hand. Whether it's loading on the gold chains à la Givenchy, a Michelle Obama-style brooch, or a statement ring, the local vintage store will be your best bet. I will be scouring mine!

~Embrace the 80's. I've been avoiding it left and right, but I can't escape it. The fashion establishment has been shoving it down my throat for some time now and I'm finally coming around. The 80's are all too familiar, but the good news about the cycle of fashion is that the second time around, it's usually not as literal and usually an improvement on the original. So as I see it, I can take the 80's in small doses and be selective with my trends. I've gotten the must-have leggings already, but instead of wearing with Keds and an oversized Benetton sweater, I'll be updating it with some Sigerson Morisson leather booties and an eco-friendly bamboo tunic. Now that's an improvement!

~Long live the Scarf. I'm not letting go of this trend for 2009. It's actually a practical one I think. In a time of uncertainty, don't we all want to feel comforted? Snuggling up in my silky bamboo knitted scarf is my comfort of choice. And when you travel, it's the perfect throw to keep you warm, especially when all the airlines are skimping out on the blankets. I've got lots of Stacia bamboo scarves coming your way in 2009!

~Pamper thyself. I vow to not neglect myself this year. No matter how hard I work and how stressed out I get, I WILL take time for myself and indulge. At least one massage a quarter and a facial twice a year. I know that's probably modest, but here's someone who only does a spa day on a special occasion. I've already set the tone this year by purchasing a 75 minute Kate Somerville signature facial which came with a 2nd-one-free gift card, so yes, there's deals to be had even in beauty. And $9 community yoga classes at Santa Monica Yoga here I come! And maybe Lasik in the Spring if I'm brave!

~Keeping Green. The Eco trend is still in high gear and I'm sticking to my guns again this year. I've banned plastic bags for good in my household (although, I'm still training my husband!) and both kids are using reusable lunch boxes. No disposable water bottles either. I will continue to support The Surfrider Foundation and Heal the Bay. And keeping with the green theme, Stacia is going full force in 2009 with a complete Stacia Ecoknit Collection of washable bamboo and soybean knits that will put cashmere to shame.

The List may keep growing, but at least I've gotten started. There's nothing more pleasurable than crossing something off the List. Things to Do and things Done. 2009 is shaping up to be a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment