Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Jean Therapy


So today is my birthday and it was due time for a little 'jean therapy' to help me get over the fact that I'm 37 now! Yes, I'm admitting my age in print, but really, I don't care about the numbers. It freaks me out more that I have two kids under 4! I hate to admit this as a fashion designer, but the last time I went jeans shopping was after I lost my baby-weight after the first kid - in 2004. My husband took me to Madison in Malibu to score some AG jeans - the Angel series - which I still wear today and love. Once again, after baby #2, I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight and it's back to Madison again for some new birthday/skinny jeans. Yeah!! I was on the hunt for something new this time (but timeless like my Angel's) and preferably high-waisted or wide leg. Thank God I was pregnant during the whole pegged/skinny jean trend last year. Yes, high-waisted and wide leg is back (very 1970's), but I wanted something that didn't look like I bought it a the local Salvation Army (aka Lee jeans). Hey, if I really wanted that retro 70's high-waisted, wide leg jean look I'd go to the Rose Bowl flea market and snag a pair for 25 bucks. But alas, I found my dream jeans - a chic pair of dark denim trouser-style jeans by Anlo. They have a center crease down the leg to emphasis the wider leg and the most beautiful wood buttons on the flap back pockets. They're not exactly super high-waisted (I'm not quite ready for that), but they're definitely not crack-bearing. My only complaint is that every jean I tried on was made for an amazon model or a 6'10" basketball player. I'm not exactly short here, I'm 5'8" tall, but I'm gonna have to whack off at least 4" off my hem so I don't drown in these pants. If I have to spend $200 for a pair of jeans these days, it would be nice to know I don't have to cut off 1/8 of the pant so I can wear them. It's a good thing I can sew. I feel sorry for someone who just paid 200 bucks and has to turn around and pay for a tailor to cut off the leg. Why do these jean manufacturer's make they're jeans so long? I know this wider leg silhouette looks better with a heel for height, but I'd have to wear a 4" wedge with these puppies! All in all, I love my new wide-leg jeans and think they'll be fabulous this Fall with my Stacia sweaters. I especially think my honeycomb cowl-neck will look hot with these, along with my vintage Robert Clergerie wedges (after a little alterations of course.) So happy birthday to me and thanks to my hubby for my much needed jean therapy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment