Monday, August 13, 2007

Style Icon of the Week - Carolyn Murphy


It's easy to blur the lines between the on-camera style and street-style of a real model. Most models tend to have great personal style and always look like they came right off the catwalk. But one of my fave models and fellow Westsider is Carolyn Murphy. She's beyond the menial day jobs of a typical model -she can say no to photo spreads in Elle and no longer has to strut her stuff on the runways- now it's all about the Estee Lauder contracts and high-end Missoni ads. Good for her! Carolyn Murphy now has the luxury to enjoy life and live it up a the beach. She epitomizes California beach cool and exudes the laid-back lifestyle that inspires my collection of knits. Like myself, Carolyn moved out West after years on the East Coast in search of open air and surf-worthy waters. One of my favorite Carolyn photo layouts (no, not the Sports Illustrated ones!) was for C Magazine's debut issue in 2005 where they interviewed her about her new West Coast lifestyle, love of surfing, and enjoying daily beach-combing with her daughter, Dylan. She was both ethereal and bohemian and would make any woman want to be her. I've seen her up close and personal while Christmas tree shopping in Santa Monica and she looked uber cool with her surf beanie hat, jeans, boots, a feminine blouse, and super long skinny scarf. And as all of my fave style icons, she's a Mom too. I find that most style icons are mothers. Maybe it has something to do with letting go and not trying too hard when you're being a Mom. You have to be put together to keep it together when you're chasing a toddler! I must say Carolyn looks great in the new Missoni ads too. I only wish she was working my spacedye knits instead! I certainly can't afford her, but I do think she'd look fabulous in my spacedye knits off the clock. Mine are a helluva lot cheaper and more practical to wear on her next beach outing with Dylan or Christmas tree shopping excursion! Oh, and happy belated b-day, Carolyn - a fellow Leo too!

No comments:

Post a Comment