Saturday, June 2, 2007

Suit Up For Summer à la North Shore


Finding the perfect, stay-put swimsuit is always a challenge and you don't want to necessarily don a lap-worthy speedo. What's a girl to do? Alas, I have found the answer! Yes, I've tried them all - the designer (Malia Mills), the mass-market (J.Crew), the 16 year-old Roxy look, and yet I haven't been satisfied. Personally, I want a timeless suit (aka a "solid") since I get bored so easily with prints, but the baby's got to fit good and stay-put when I'm on my long board. About 8 years ago I discovered a little gem of a store on Oahu's North Shore in the rustic town of Haleiwa, called North Shore Swimwear. They sell the suits à la carte and hang a sample of each top and bottom up on the wall so you can pick and choose. They also do custom suits if you don't see what you want on the rack. My fave is the Tavaner halter and boy short (pictured above in cherry red.) I own two - one in pacific blue and one in chocolate brown (brown looks great when your ghost-white the first time on the beach!). The Drew halter wrap top is also great. Just bought one in aqua to go with my chocolate boy shorts. That's what's great about the solids too- you can mix n' match colors and look like you meant to do it. If you can't make the trek to Haleiwa, they have a great online shop, northshoreswimwear.com. So click away and get yourself one of these surf-worthy suits before you hit the waves!

No comments:

Post a Comment