Wednesday, September 12, 2007

From the Sketchpad - New Colors!





Now that I just put to bed Spring '08, it's already time to think about next Fall (yikes!) I'm always one who likes to get ahead start on things, so I've just made my new Spacedye palette selection for next Summer and Fall. Lots of yummy colors coming your way soon! I've always found Fall to be a more challenging season to design for (even as a sweater designer - go figure!). I really enjoy using vibrant colors and the Fall season doesn't always lend itself to such. Customers expect the muted palette of Autumn (think browns, aubergines, burnt oranges), but my Spacedye is more eye-catching and special in vibrant non-traditional Fall colors. So my challenge this Fall was to punch up the color a bit and do some more unusual color combinations. And thanks to my artistic 3 1/2 year old son, Campbell, and his many beautiful hand paintings from school - I have a whole collection here thanks to him! You can see above some examples of his work and my interpretation of his color palette for some of my new Spacedye combinations.

For Summer' 08 I'm doing a 'Botanical' group of rayon/spandex brightly-hued dresses and sporty tops in colors Mimosa, Eden, Tulip, Waterlily, Hibiscus, and Marigold (will debut in January at Intermezzo and ship to stores in April.) In June I'll ship stores my island-inspired 'Town & Country' group (think Honolulu city meets the North Shore country) of bamboo/cotton Sweatertess in colors Seagrass, Haiku, Lantern, and Banyan. Come August in the height of Fall fashion, I'll be showcasing my 'Mission' group of 100% bamboo knits in colors Mesa, Adobe, Juniper, and Eucalyptus. And just when the temperature starts to drop, my 100% merino wool Spacedye will keep you toasty in a new vibrant color story inspired by California's 'Canyons' - Laurel, Rustic, Temescul, Coldwater, and Topanga. Can't wait to start designing into these fabrics! Got the juices flowing now (thinking of cocoon shapes, bell sleeves, more crochet but in merino, and more fit-to-the-body shapes.)

Stay tuned for more 'From the Sketchpad'...

No comments:

Post a Comment