Saturday, May 3, 2008

Book Inspiration - Cliff May


I've already shared with you that my Spring '09 collection is inspired by a recent trip to Palm Springs and what the Stacia gal might be wearing while lounging poolside in the dry, hot heat. My latest inspiration comes from a book oddly enough and re-enforces my vision for this collection. Thanks to my hubbie, blogger of The Los Angeles Times's La Land, the new fabulous coffee table book, Cliff May and The Modern Ranch House, ended up on our very own coffee table. I've never been a big follower of architecture, but since renting a house in Mar Vista, I'm much more aware of cool architecture and the whole indoor/outdoor living that I have been deprived of for so long (as a NYC and Santa Monica apartment dweller of 20 years.) Cliff May's work epitomizes the indoor/outdoor lifestyle characteristic of the modern ranch house and his work jump-started the trend of casual elegant living in the mid-century. Flipping through this new book brought my Spring collection to full fruition. The timing couldn't have been better discovering this book and taking my inspirational trip to Palm Springs. His sprawling, horizontally designed homes with their low-profile details and expansive living spaces that flow into spacious patios is the ideal backdrop for my Spring collection of space-dye bamboo knits. The color Rancho, in particular, with its sky blues, earthy tans, and sunburst oranges will be the perfect color combination to showcase an updated version of my signature beach tunic dress (think Jackie O poolside with large dark sunglasses sipping a dirty martini.) Wide, solid trims will accent the mid-century inspired mini dresses and billowy sleeved tunics. The super-soft bamboo knit pieces, both retro and modern, you can throw on over a swimsuit or sport with metallic gladiator sandals while traipsing through one of Cliff May's modern ranchos. Check out the new Cliff May book and day-dream, like me, imagining yourself in one of these fabulous mid-century houses and lounging comfortably in a Stacia bamboo dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment