Saturday, December 13, 2008

E-tail Therapy


'Tis the season to shop! Although, with the grim economic outlook thanks to the media, Christmas shopping has been sort of a downer this year. Not that I'm lacking the Christmas spirit, but holiday shopping just isn't what it used to be. Believe me, I'd much rather go ice-skating in downtown Santa Monica with my son to show my holiday mojo, than tackle the local Third Street Promenade or schlep to Target or Toys R Us.

I'm proud to say, I've been stretching my dollars from home in my pjs! This is actually the first year that I have solely shopped for Christmas on the internet. I've always done some shopping online for Christmas, but this time around I've only been able to find what I want and at the right price online. Boy, I really feel for those poor brick n' mortar stores now...I'm a true consumer and have always preferred a touch n' feel, tactile shopping experience rather than an impersonal web store, but this year is different. I know exactly what I want for everybody (and myself!) and rather than running around town in disappointment with poorly stocked stores, I've been surfing the web with success.

As a former retailer, I've been repeatedly disappointed with the retail selections out there. With c/card in hand I was ready to spend, but because of paranoia the stores have poorly stocked shelves and heavily discounted items that I neither want nor need. If I see another 70% off sign for clothing in some cheap-ass fabric, I'm going to hurl. I don't care if they're giving the stuff away, I want quality! I'd much rather pinch my pennies and save for a high-quality contemporary designer top than skimp on some cheapo knock-off from Old Navy or Zara.

On the other front, finding the things I want on the selling floor has been nearly impossible. My husband and I have an arrangement where I shop for myself and then give it to him to wrap and put under the tree from him (it may not be a surprise, but at least I get what I want!) Case in point, I've been on the hunt for my dream boyfriend jean and have come up dry at the stores. Madison and Planet Blue seem to be sold out of the coveted Current Elliot version (hello, it's Christmas time, why are they not in stock!) And I've been admiring the slouchy cowboy jean in the J.Crew catalog the last few months, but for some reason this jean which is styled on almost every page of their friggin' catalog is not offered in their stores (what's up with that? If you "believe" in a silhouette you better be sure it's available for purchase!) So in the end, it's at J.Crew.com where I make my purchase (10% off and free shipping - yahoo! Hope it fits!) Same goes for that over-sized, gold full-blooded Swatch watch I've had on my list. No luck at retail, but Amazon has come through and at a good 10 bucks cheaper with free shipping. And finding a pair of men's Havaianas for my husband at retail in December is nearly impossible (albeit it is a beach town and flip flops are a daily staple year-around.) Found the perfect pair online and without running around town in desperation.

Toy shopping has been another disappointment. All I want for my 2 and 4 year old are some classic wooden toys and nothing plastic or toxic or franchised. Boy, is that hard to find at your local retailer. Amazon has come to the rescue and all without leaving my home! I'm so glad I'm offering free shipping on my web site, because as a consumer myself, that's the ultimate tie breaker. I can find the same item on various web sites and in similar price ranges, but the free shipping gets my business! Hey, I'm sure I could find the same Melissa & Doug doll house at Jenny Becs or at Puzzle Zoo and get that tactile experience, but I'm sorry, in this economy I want the most competitive price and unfortunately that's not at a local Montana boutique. Sure, it'll hurt their bottom line and as a wholesaler myself I want to fully support small boutiques (hey, that's where my duds are sold so I want them to thrive.) For me it's more about convenience than price. My time is precious and running around to many different stores to find each toy product is not on my agenda. I'd rather do one-stop shopping and go ice-skating with my son instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment