Thursday, December 4, 2008

Trend-Spotting in the Palisades


Who would have thought a designer could find inspiration on a school tour. I must admit, I'm one of those Westside parents schlepping from one end of town to the other going on school tours for my soon-to-be kindergartner. Although, I am looking at a bunch of schools I can't even afford, but that's another story (having my kid's kindergarten cost more than my Toyota is not cool.)

Little did I know that tucked away on a hillside next to Lake Shrine in the Pacific Palisades, I'd visit the most charming school campus and at the same time be inundated with inspiration! I know, I'm not suppose to be working, but rather focusing on my son's future, but as a natural designer I just can't help myself from observing how "real" people dress. No, I was not at Crossroads (the hoitie toitie private school for the movie mogul kids), but rather at my alma mater, The Waldorf. From my own childhood experience at a Waldorf, although a good one, I was only expecting the "granola" crowd and a few Birkenstocks. But I stand corrected! Fashion is alive at the Waldorf! Or at least for the few potential new parents checking out the school.

It may come to a surprise for some folks, but it can get a big chilly and even blustery near the ocean whether in Santa Monica or in the Palisades, so boots and sweaters are de rigueur on the Westside. But I'm not talking about your usual Uggs or a schlumpy ski sweater. The Mom's in this crowd were casually dressed, but utterly put-together in skinny tall boots and asymmetrical cozy sweaters and chic unexpected hats. Oh, and did I mention Ms. Helen Hunt was there too (looking chic and au natural of course.) I was surrounded by style and happy that I had also made an effort to put on my favorite Stacia banyan bamboo scarf top and cocoon cardi and my favorite knitted Uggs (see photo above of my 2 in 1 scarf top.) A few of my favorite picks (although I have no idea "who" they were wearing, but I'm confident these looks can be replicated at your local boutique):

Asymmetrical smoke grey felted sweater coat (short in front, long in back and unexpected angled hems at the side.) Flat-felded seams everywhere and a funnel neck collar kept this Mom warm and uber cool. Paired with tall brown suede boots with a cozy shearling liner. Her husband sported a cool flannel fedora too.

Camel colored super long cashmere-esque cardicoat with ribbed trim and shorter in front and longer swag in the back. And the accessory of the moment, a happy multi-colored skinny scarf twirled around her neck.

Black leather jacket with an asymmetrical raw-cut hem, tail back, and completely unlined for a cool raw leather look (may have been faux for all I know, because it IS the Waldorf you know.) Red skinny jeans and of-the-moment shortie black boots.

Black chunky ribbed cowl neck sweater dress with over-sized buttons and a shapely fit. Paired with funky tights and high boots (and this was one of the teachers!)

Long granny-style cardigan, but cooler-than-thou with its winter white color and slim fit. Paired with a pencil skirt and shortie lace-up boots in black.

So mission accomplished. I loved the school and got my juices flowing for Fall 2009. My designs are pretty much put to bed by now, but it's reassuring to see some of my favorite all-time Fall silhouettes on real women. I'm anxious to present my newest fiber friend, Soybean/Bamboo, which when knitted up in a chunky 7gg "wrap-it up hoodie coat" puts cashmere to shame. And I assure you it will be a helluva lot cheaper. Oh yes, and eco-friendly too, so take that cashmere (sorry, but I've never been a fan of recycled cashmere unless it's à la Salvation Army kind.)

So off to another school tour next week and hopefully some more trend-spotting too...

No comments:

Post a Comment