Thursday, June 17, 2010

lifestyle fashion

When it comes to the present fascination with the 1970s, some would prefer to permanently shelve the era

by Tony Gordon
Published: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:04 PM CDT
Someone once said that everything that goes out of style eventually comes back in style. I am hoping that is not a hard and fast rule, because when it comes to the present fascination with the 1970s I would prefer to permanently shelve the era. See, I lived through it. I have tried to forget the clothes the hair, the politics, the pet rocks and “The Gong Show.” But, low and behold, the ‘70s are back!

Now, I have tried to grow past my high school years, 1976-1980, but I have a well-intentioned Mather High School friend who keeps posting pictures of our high school clique on Facebook. It is cute, and I “LOL” when looking at some of these film shots, but it makes me think how popular fashion, music and everything else from the ‘70s are right now. My kids and their friends are into it.

Of course, the youngsters don’t know that the ‘70s were an interestingly awful time: the ‘73 oil embargo, Watergate, Vietnam, mass inflation and bad hair. As a teenager I was well aware of popular culture, politics and the fashion of the time. Men’s and women’s hair styles were big and bushy. This was the forerunner to the ‘80s’ mullet. Are we really going down this road? Those who forget history are bound to repeat it.

Thank goodness the average North Shore reader has a good memory and is not responding to the craze. Maybe it is the recession keeping us out of the stores, but I have not seen any shoulder pads except at football games. Platform shoes and disco balls are staying in the closet. Permanent wave requests are not up at my salons despite the popularity of “That ‘70s Show.” In fact, straight hair is all the rage. Big frizzy hair does not seem to be making any headway into the North Shore fashion scene. This is good because I am fine leaving the ‘70s behind.


On second thought, there were things I loved about the ‘70s. The music from the ‘70s: The Who, The Rolling Stones and Santana (to name a few) still resonate on many Chicago radio stations. Even my teenagers know the words. Most 1970s TV shows, even “The Gong Show,” can be found on the Internet.

Also, the average house cost $26,600 in 1970, according to 1970flashback.com. Can you image the average house for 26K? OK, I don’t abhor the ‘70s completely … just mostly
" border="0">

No comments:

Post a Comment